Energy Savings Scheme (ESS)
WHAT IS ESS?
The Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) is being implemented to reduce electricity consumption in NSW by creating financial incentives for households and businesses to invest in energy savings projects. As a resident of NSW, you can benefit from a range of energy efficiency upgrades including replacing downlights With LEDs.
The ESS Rule provides a method for up-front deeming of energy savings from upgrades undertaken at residential and small business sites, including for the replacement of inefficient lighting: the Home Energy Efficiency Retrofits (HEER) method. Only the Accredited Certificate Providers (ACPs) are allowed to deliver the Home Energy Efficiency Retrofit [HEER] activities under the ESS to help the NSW households and Small Business save energy by supporting a range of energy efficiency upgrades such as lighting, equipment upgrades, and draught proofing.
Cyanergy is accredited under the HEER to perform these upgrades. This means that we can provide discounted energy savings services and products to you. ACPS are businesses accredited by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) which undertake specified energy saving activities under the ESS. The ACPs can offer HEER activities by themselves or contract it to other third-party installers such as electricians. ACPs work independently and are not deemed as employees or representatives of the NSW Government.
An ACP must be nominated to be the energy saver by the original saver of the energy for implementing the upgrade and creating Energy Savings Certificates (ESCs). A nomination can only be made once for the same upgrade and it should be made before the completion of the iob. All equipment must be installed by the ACP or their representatives to ensure that the installation is carried out safely by the licensed and trained technicians.
The ESS Rule also has specific requirements for the types of lighting that may be installed under this method. Certain lighting products must be accepted for use by IPART before then can be used in an upgrade.
More information on how Accredited Certificate Providers accredited to use the Home Energy Efficiency Retrofits method can apply to have equipment accepted can be found on HEER Lighting Requirements page.
- Save up to 90% on your lighting costs by installing more efficient lighting technology.
- Recent developments in lighting technology, including LEDs and CFLs, mean that the lighting in your home can be powered more efficiently.
- Not only will the latest energy-efficient lighting reduce your energy bill but it will also reduce your maintenance costs because new lighting technology lasts longer.
- The NSW Government is committed to helping households and businesses reduce their bills by offering financial incentives for replacing your old lighting equipment.
- By participating, you can save money on the upgrade costs, reduce your energy bill and help the environment.
Access up to $50,000.00 in business solar rebates.
How It Works?
- The NSW Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) provides financial incentives to install energy efficient equipment and appliances in NSW households and businesses.
- An energy saving certificates or ESC (pronounced “esky”) is created by an Accredited Certificate Provider (ACP) for each one notional Megawatt hour (MWh) of energy saved by the project.
- The Mandatory Scheme Participants i.e. Electricity Retailers obtain and surrender these certificates to meet their own legislated targets, as enforced by the NSW Government.
- There is no catch, just avail the Government Incentive and enjoy reductions in your electricity bills!